Good morning! It's 5 something in the morning, unfortunately one of the few uninerrupted times I have to write here. If things are incomprehensible, sorry....
Rice pudding (taken from Christine Cushing?-not sure about the last name-anyway, it came from the milk calendar 2 or 3 years back.)
3 cups of milk (in Japan I mixed whole milk with low fat)
1 cup of cream (in Canada I used the stuff to put in coffee 1/2 and 1/2)
1/2 cup of short-grain rice (Arborio or Italian, japanese rice works well)
1/4 cup of brown sugar (it says packed, but I like a little less, so I don't pack it in too much)
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of raisins
1 Tbsp of vanilla
1. Bring milk, cream, rice, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stiring frequently.
2. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 20 min, stirring occasionally.
3. Add raisins. Cover and simmer for another 5-10 min, (until the rice is tender)stirring occasionally.
4. Add vanilla. Serve warm or cold. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Medea, I'm not sure if you were asking for a perogy recipe, my students said that they liked them. Perogies are a bit of a hassle to make put I love them and potatoes, so they are worth it! I don't have quantities here, as I just kind of fool around with them- microwave potatoes until they are soft. Mash them and add salt, butter and milk. Add chives (I think they are called asatsuki here) and cheese, (a whole bunch) Then I use gyoza wraps to wrap them in. I wrap them all first, then I boil them, about 7 or 8 at a time. Boil them until they float (2 min?) Fry them with bacon, onions, mushrooms, maitake, whatever you like. I top them with plain yogurt in Japan as sour cream here is too hard and the consistency of jello.
I think Hiroki is going through a hard time lately. I actually can't leave the house in the morning. He says he wants Mommy and holds on to my legs. (He even said "Stay here" in English!) I'm a little surprised, actually. He has never been really good in the morning but he hasn't been this clingy for quite a while. I don't know what's up with him. He has become like a little dictator about -of all things- tissue. He makes us get a box of tissue that is the colour we like-I get blue, his grandmother gets red, and he gets green. He then tells us that he'll let us that tissue, ie I can use the ones from the blue box. And in the morning, I need alot of tissue! God help me if I should use one from a different coloured box (or even if he just thinks I've used one from a different colour!) It sounds cute, but it results in a screaming, crying, thrashing on the floor type of tantrum, which in the morning, when one tends to be in a bit of a hurry, is not the least bit cute! It took me quite a bit of time to convince him once that the box I used a tissue from was light blue and therefore a colour I like quite a bit! (It was evening, had some time to explain to him)
Enough for now, time to go get ready for work!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks Sheri.
Stealing now.
Just posted your recipe with one minor setback.
Apologizing now for absentmindedness.
someone wants more momey time. lol
the tissue thing is as cute as it is annoying. made me smile!
Post a Comment