Friday, March 31, 2006

a season of change

Well my spring vacation will soon be over with my not having accomplished nearly as much as I had planned. It's so hard to get everything done. Of course I've still been teaching privates.
Yesyerday was the farewell ceremony at my (former) school for teachers who are leaving. When I first got to the school, the vice-principal told me to go to a special room, as I was now "considered a guest". When the time came for the ceremony to begin, they had us line up single file in a certain order (retiring teachers first, then transfers) and we walked into the gym where all of the students were waiting for us. (And clapping when we entered!) Then we had to go up on the stage and sit in our assigned order. The vice-principal gave a little speech about each of us, then we were all given a basket of flowers, and then it was our turn to say something. Let me just say that even lining up, I started to feel nervous. Sitting on the stage in front of everyone, trying to remember when to bow, thinking about what to say, trying to concentrate on not losing it, too many things at once...I was shivering the whole time, between the cold wind blowing into the gym and nerves, I was a wreck. My heart was pounding so hard I thought for sure that everyone would be able to hear it! I honestly have no idea what the VP said about me. But got through it.
When we were finished the teachers who were leaving all got taken out to a family restaurant. That was the best part. Everyone was a lot more relaxed, including me. (Although I did think I was hallucinating when I heard my name being called, and it was even in English!-turned out to be another ALT at the same school board who was being taken out in the same fashion)
It was sad saying goodbye to many of the teachers while others I don't really care if I see again or not. The next school I'm going to is much, much bigger, I hope I'll be able to remember people's names. And I get to do another ceremony when I go to the next school, I have to talk to everyone on stage again. Oh boy.
Nuff 4 now.

3 comments:

Granny said...

I don't know about you but I'd feel like I was back in school all over again.

Dinner might be worth it though.

Andrea said...

eekk i probably would have lost it!! I have my goodby party in a few weeks and i am so screwed. i am a sobber

Granny said...

Hi Sheri - thanks for the comment on granny.