Sunday, August 10, 2008

summer update

Summer vacation is here, I have been on holidays now for however many days but still not managing to do this. The first week was due to those evil auctions, but I have cleansed myself from that sinful addiction. The second week was due to studying Japanese or various things on the computer/around the house that need to get done. Sigh. There is so much that needs to get done. I already feel like my summer is going to finish soon, you know?
Next week is o-bon, or the holidays when people are supposed to gather and remember the dead in their families. Then, we are going camping for 3 nights. (3!) I'm not sure if I am looking forward to that or not. I mean, I'm not sure if I like camping, first of all, and there's so much stuff I have to remember to pack. If I don't remember something, somebody will be a grump and that's no fun. ach.
Last week DS woke up and told me that his tooth is loose. He has been saying that for a while so I looked at his mouth and it IS!! I know this is normal and a good thing but WAH!!! my baby is growing up so fast! He shocked us at the end of July. We were staying with friends and there is a pool at the apartment building. Anyway, he jumped into the shallow pool and started to swim a little, underwater. omg! I didn't know he could do that!!
Of course he's been taking swimming lessons for a year now, but we can't really see him there. He always goes to the back of the big pool, far away from the window. He's been practicing at home in the bath, though. Every night he puts on his goggles and puts his head under the water to see how long he can stay there. Or he'll turn himself over in the bath, like doing a somersault, giving me a great up close view of his bum.So I guess I shouldn't feel surprised.
Just feeling bittersweet.
Here are some pictures from when we went to stay with our friends. It's always so nice to go and stay with them, it's at an apartment with a hot spring, so first of all that is really relaxing. Then we get a long well with the couple who stay there with us, and their daughter plays with Hiroki really well. So by the end of our time there we feel pretty relaxed and happy. How can you beat that?!

This was taken en route, at the restaurany we stopped at for lunch.

This was the beautiful (and yummy) sashimi that we had for dinner that night.

This was taken in Shimoda, where we spent the whole day at the beach. We'd been before but this time Hi-man was able to have a lot more fun. He was using his floaty thingy and saying how much fun he was having (tanoshii!) the whole time! (especially when the waves came)

Enjoying a nice cold one on the beach. (Can't get your picture taken without flashing the peace sign!)

The huge grin on his face is because of the 3 trains lined up there, including the one on the left, the Super-View Odoriko.

4 comments:

Gina said...

What an amazing update!!

First, I think that's awesome that you went and spent time with a good friend and that she has an onsen in her building sounds fab!!! You and your family must have enjoyed yourselves!!! : )

And yahoo for your little fish for swimming underwater! I think once they get a good level, it really is more fun going to the beach or heading to the pools. Ykwim? It's just more fun for us and more fun for them too. : )

Enjoy your camping! I think camping sounds like a whole lot of fun to me!

And I gotta say I agree,about the auctions! I think they can totally get addictive. I haven't bought anything since the Hanshin tigers bag. But I've sold about 4 things on there since then. I think I sell more on there then I buy. LOL. : )

Please keep enjoying your summer!: )

Tigermama said...

I love camping! If you forget something, just wing it (I`m sure there will be a conbini nearby)! :)

I know what you mean about the teeth. When Kiana lost hers, I was ready for it because it was loose for sooooo long. But Kai lost his suddenly back in June and I was NOT ready!

Sheri said...

Thanks, Gina, for the comment! I have sworn off auctions for the time being. :)
Tigermama, I can't believe TB has lost a tooth already! It's amazing, isn't it?

marianne said...

How did I totally manage to miss this post! Looks like an awesome time was had by all.I love camping too.Bought a tent last year and had a few trips away.DH is still pissed at me for saying no to a camping trip this summer...well come on!!!