Thursday, March 15, 2007

hey there

Well、I am enjoying my last couple of days of free time at work. Because that’s really what it is-only 2 or 3 more days left. The graduation ceremony is on Monday. Monday! Time goes by so quickly. The graduation ceremony here is much more emotional, I think. (Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t feel very sad about leaving my junior high school?) A lot of these students have been together since elementary school and everyone goes off to different high schools. There are entrance exams for high school here, and apparently which high school you go to can have a big impact on your future university/career. (Also high school here isn’t mandatory or free!!) So the ceremony is always in the (freezing cold) gym, and since it’s allergy/cold season now, everyone has the sniffles to begin with. Then people start crying and we have one big sniffle-fest. Oooh, looking forward to it. :P
Then about a week later there is the farewell ceremony. All the teachers know who is moving but it’s a big secret from all of the students. Teachers are told around the beginning of March, but the city employees, like the janitor and secretaries, librarians and ALTs (that would be what I am) find out around the end of March, usually just in time for the farewell ceremony. (Keep in mind that not everybody is happy being transferred or happy with their new placements.) (Most of the teachers know I am leaving and I am continually asked about my replacement-not that I have any idea about who is coming) We have to line up in a special order (ALTs are almost last, depending on who else is moving.) Then we have to go on stage and I think the principal says a few words about us, how long we have been at the school and what school we will be going to next etc. Then I think we have to give a speech, from last year’s experience we go out for a coffee or lunch or whatever. It also is a pretty formal ceremony.
Still don’t have any idea about when my next job is starting. I know I have to go to a big meeting with all of the staff (at least the jr and sr high, I don’t know about the uni-hope not!) I also have to get an x-ray (chest) before beginning. But I don’t know when.
BOY UPDATE: Last weekend Hiroki and I spent hours at the dr’s office AGAIN. He had a fever Fri night and I gave him medicine that night and Sat morn. Actually, I was surprised because he really couldn’t walk by himself. This was the first time I have ever seen him so bad! We went to the dr in the aft because he still had a fever of 38 degrees even after taking medicine. We had to wait 2 hours to see the dr. It sucked. Luckily (?) by the time we got in to see her, his med had worn off and he had a fever of 40.4 degrees! She was worried so she tested him for influenza and gave him a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. He didn’t have either, so that was good, but we had no idea why he had such a high fever. Anyway, we got more medicine (including antibiotics) and by Sunday morning he was soo much better. It was such a relief.
Now he is mostly fine. He has been in a pretty bad mood (read tantrums and crying) I think because he is still a little sick and I think he is pretty tired from not having naps anymore at daycare. They are trying to prepare everybody for no naps next year but all of the poor little guys end up falling asleep at the table sometime in the afternoon (before their snack). Poor things.
We are going to Yokohama this weekend to see Daddy as he hasn’t been able to come back much lately. We will also be in Yokohama the following weekend as we got tickets to see a family concert (one we went to before-but I don’t know if the singers will be the same or not). Busy.
Take care everyone.

4 comments:

Tigermama said...

Poor Hiroki! He`s having a hard time lately ne? This might be a stupid question, but did they test him for an urinary tract infection? Tigergirl had one when she was a baby and H`s symptoms sound exactly the same. Just a thought.

Sheri said...

Hi Tigermama, thanks for the suggestion. Did she have a cough with her UTI? Of course the doc here didn't suggest anything like that but I will keep it in mind.

Lily said...

Hope Hiroki is completely better soon. You have been coming up to Yokohama alot recently and I am just catching up on blogs now so I didn't realize it. Please send me an email next time you come up and have some free time. I would love to meet up.

Andrea said...

ohh soon to school - he is growing toooo fast!!!

oh and TAG your it!!!