

And something else I liked about that ryokan was that it had French food, yum! Of course dinner was served in our room. We took advantage of the fact that it was my mother-in-law’s birthday and got extra cake served with dinner. We had a whole bunch of cake, and it was all really tasty.

Cake and chocolates, mochi (rice cakes made from super fattening rice) have all contributed to my weight gain for the start of the year. I have to cut back on all of my snacks again to get back to where I am a little more comfortable.
Other things I have been itching to write about-living here in Japan. Things have gotten increasingly strict for foreigners here. Last year we had the idiot minister of justice announce to the press that he had a friend of a friend who was in Al-Quaida and that person had come into Japan several times. The way he announced it was so unclear it seems like he was warned about one of the bombings but he didn’t do anything about it, like warn anyone. He later changed his statement to say that he hadn’t known about any bombings and he didn’t really know the person who was in Al-Quaida, anyway, he made the government here look as bumbling and inept as they are, I suppose. The upshot of his whole statement was that Japan needs to protect itself against foreigners (which I will always be living here) and therefore the government made the program to fingerprint every foreigner every time they leave and re-enter the country. Every time. And not only that, but they will keep the records for an unannounced period of time (I think I heard like 70 years or something ridiculous like that) and they will give other government officials any access they need to the records. As in any police office around the country can access the fingerprint bank any time to use for ‘solving crime’. Maybe I am paranoid, but I don’t believe that first of all, the government is capable of not leaking our fingerprint information. I also am slightly paranoid that a police officer could frame any foreigner for any crime. Maybe I have been reading too many websites about this, but I just don’t feel comfortable that they’ll keep fingerprints for that long. Actually I have stopped reading a lot of sites like that as I have been feeling more and more paranoid-I’ve heard that I can actually (technically) be deported from the country for traffic violation. Anyway, it has made me feel not so happy about things here. It was brought up again today, with the headline in the news that permanent residents may be required to prove their Japanese proficiency. Sigh.
4 comments:
Nice to see you back! Love the pics! That smile is contagious.
I too feel like it is getting worse and worse for foreigners too. As the Japanese economy gets worse they are just going to blame us more and more.
Was so happy to find a POST, a real live, 2008 POST! The ryokan sounds like a fantastic relaxing get away!
I hear you on the tightened conditions for foreigners here. . .I alternate between anger and despair. It is getting to the point where they just automatically assume that any crime is done by a foreigner (like the Sasebo gunman fiasco where they kept quoting people saying that the gunman was a foreigner etc.) sigh. It is sort of ironic that while I didn't fear random violent crime from unknown Japanese here in the 80's NOW in 2008 I do but now I apparently am the suspected terrorist/criminal due to being foreign!
Laura
I`m glad you`re back too! :)
I'm glad you're back too, and the ryokan sounded like so much fun! And all those cake pics, omg! I'm drooling here, ha ha ha! : )
Post a Comment