Thursday, January 17, 2008

7 5 3

Back at work. I don’t know why I feel like I can get this done more here than at home. Could be because I have so much time on the computer here. I have also planned lots of my lessons already and so end up wasting time surfing net. I could probably study Japanese…
Last November we took the boy to the shrine to celebrate his becoming 5 years old. Shichi-go-san (7,5,3) is often celebrated here, I’ve heard that it started because children didn’t survive long in the old days, so people started to go to the shrine to give thanks to the gods that their children were still alive. Wikipedia, however didn’t mention that. Anyway, boys go at 5 years old and get dressed up in a hakama or suit. We rented a hakama for him, it was beautiful.



The shop that we rented it from was great. The woman said to my mother-in-law that we don’t need to pay for someone to put it on him (the sashes should be tied elaborately, especially if you are going to get pictures done) and that she would teach us. So she did. My mother-in-law tried it a couple of times and then the saleswoman told us we could take it home to practice with. We had wanted to use it the next week. She also told us that she was going to give us a special deal-we said that our price range was around 15,000 yen or about $150 but the one she showed us first was about double that. Gulp. She said if we liked it we could rent it for our price range. Nice. She was really good at sales, I think. Anyway, we rented it and ended up borrowing it for a week longer since we couldn’t get to the shrine on that weekend. It was great, didn’t cost anymore money or anything. My poor mother-in-law ended up practicing and practicing tying the sash (she used a garbage can) and in the end Hiroki kept looking down at it while she was tying it and saying “That’s wrong, you’re doing it wrong!” Rat.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

oi!
Is that daddy? First time I have seen a photo of him. Sheri - he is cute!

And that son of yours!! Awwwwwww!
Awsome.
I realized this year that Ji would be going to the temple for her three.
I actually really miss not being able to do that. It would have been so cool.
I told hub that we need to get some special photos done of her this year because it is her three.
wow.
cool

Gina said...

Oh my god Sheri, he's 5 already! Where has all the time went? I can't believe how much he's grown and he still has the kindest eyes and smile, I've ever seen! He's gorgeous! And I love the hakama, you guys rented, the detailing and picture on the back of it is so cool. I think renting, was an *extremely* smart idea! I will be remembering that myself, so thanks! : )

That sales lady sounded absolutely awesome! And bless your mil for practicing tie the hakama bow/sash on a garbage can. She sounds like a lovely woman/mil and tried so hard to get it right. She sounds awesome! : )

I loved looking at each and every photo. : )

Trisha said...

Great photos. He looks absolutely handsome and congrats on getting such a great deal on the hakama. It really is beautiful!