I am at school again, I love my ipod shuffle. I looks so busy typing hee hee. So yesterday at our ALT meeting, a person from the International Association came to speak with us. (He can actually speak English-one of the few who can) He had told us before summer vacation that he wanted us to teach a conversation style of class to the citizens of this fine city I work for. We were supposed to decide what we wanted to teach them and we had to decide by a certain day. So the way this works is that we all have to teach once, and since there are 7 of us, it takes 7 weeks to finish. I thought that I would take the first spot and do introductions: self-intros, ice-breakers, that type of thing. (Supposed to be a maximum of 20 students) This whole teaching thing is supposed to take place of our ‘Relay Lecture’ where we each had to do a speech for an hour to an hour and a half. None of us like to do it, and last year the Association leader (who couldn’t speak English) told us that we wouldn’t have to do another lecture. (He asked us for other ideas of things we wanted to do for ‘the citizens’—ya, nothing springs to mind :P)
Anyway, yesterday Mr._________ comes in and asks for our topics. I was just getting ready to write my topic when he adds that, by the way, he had a talk with his boss and his boss didn’t want to do it that way- he wants us to do the lecture thing instead. Oh and could we please write down or topics today. Uhhh, sure. I am not sure why Mr. ____ didn’t think that we needed that info before deciding our topic. *deep breath*
Well, I think I’m going to do politically correct language, what to say and what not to say. I expect the students to do a lot of talking because I’m not doing a lecture. I was thinking of getting them to introduce themselves to each other first and then go over some politically correct language and then getting them to re-introduce themselves. In Japan people will say their age when they introduce themselves, so I am hoping that they will realize the culture difference.
Must go and get ready-parents coming to watch the next class!
Edited to add-if you have any fabulous ideas about what to do with these people, I would love to hear them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmmm, something to think about.
Post a Comment