Tuesday, January 31, 2006

overheard

So this is a conversation I heard between a couple of teachers at my school last week...
Teacher A: I was standing outside smoking this morning and one of the parents who dropped their kid off asked me if I thought it was a good idea to be smoking and greeting the students.
Teacher B: Really? You should have said to him that he shouldn't be dropping his kid off. He's spoiling her.
Teacher A: Yeah, it takes all kinds of people.
Teacher B: Yeah.
Meanwhile I'm thinking uh, (WTF?) you shouldn't be smoking in front of the students
I have issues with Japanese school boards as they feel that dropping your kid off teaches your kids to be dependent (or something?) Even at the elementary school level, when kids start grade 1, parents are not supposed to walk their kids to school. GRADE 1! They feel that the kids will be safe because they are asssigned groups to walk in. After the latest incidents here (2 separate incidents of grade 1 girls being taken and killed in less than a week last November)the only thing that changed was there are some more adults on the streets as part of a patrol. But the thing I don't get is even in groups, I don't think it's much safer. Especially the last part of the group-the kid walk together until they get home, so the group gets smaller and smaller, until there's only 1 kid left. So when there's only a couple of kids, what's to stop someone from trying to take them? And if your kid is the last kid, what happens? I don't like it and I live in a small town. I can't imagine living in a big city and not being able to walk my kid to school.
That's it for now.:)

4 comments:

Granny said...

My girls are gaining a little independence each year but I didn't let them start walking to school until 4th grade and then as part of a group.

Even so, there's usually at least one adult along with one of the younger kids.

I've heard others talk about how safe Japan is but I'd still worry.

illahee said...

i agree sherri, and even if i spoil him, i am walking my child to school or dropping him off! grr...

Caro said...

My Aunt is a HEAVY smoker and was recently moved out of her condo into a home. My mom and sister have been cleaning out her place. I went to retrieve a couple of pieces of funiture and a freezer and spent the whole weekend trying to de-smoke them. You wouldn't believe the color on the cleaning cloths. Disgusting... It's certainly enough to turn anyone off smoking. I can't imagine what color her lungs are! It's revolting. The furniture is going into Ella's room for when she's older so thankfully we have a couple of years for it to sit in the basement. So, yes, I think the parent was correct in admonishing the teacher, but unfortunately, smokers think that they are the smart ones and the rest of us are morons... At least that's my experience with the majority of smokers - they're in denial...

Andrea said...

ohh domt get me going about smokers and their kids here in Japan, AUGH! grr
I didnt know that about the walking to school thing, that is rediculous! I am going to have a mentally hard time letting my kid walk to school when she is 17!!!