earlier this week when the boy came home after being out with his grandma and had met one of the other foreigners in this wee little town. We know her but he couldn't remember her name, so he told me by asking me who the girl is with the same colour skin as mine....does that mean he thinks we have different coloured skin? We've talked about skin colour a little bit, but I really had no idea that he thinks of himself as a different colour. I'm also not completely sure if he meant skin colour or hair/eye colour.
I think he looks pretty Asian but it seems like a lot of people here don't think so-we get so many comments about how white he is/how he looks like such a foreigner blah,blah,blah. How about the other ladies in Japan?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I find it very interesting that when I was in Japan, everyone thought my kids looked "foreign" and now that I am in another country, they think they look "Asian". I think it comes down to perspective. An Asian person will see the subtle things that are different from themselves and a foreigner will do the same. Does that make sense?
Same as tigermama...in canada everyone thinks they look Japanese. In Japan, I get "hafu's are so cute" crap (seriously roll eyes). I want to introduce a new borrowered word into the Japanese vocab- poritakuri corakuto.
Just for fun I wanna borrow an all Japanese, 100% homogenious blood line Japan kid, take them, treat them like my own in public and see how many people decide to stop us and tell me how "cute Hafus are" or how caucasion the borrowed Japanese kid looks.
Honestly.
I've checked with my husband on this. When the kids are with him--no comments. When the kids are with me, no one can STOP expressing their astonishment at how FOREIGN my offspring look. They like to double and triple question me, "Their father is Japanese? REALLY?"
ya huh. I hump in the dark so maybe it was someone else. . . someone foreign, non Japanese and I just didn't realize?
LOL
Laura in Akita
lol at your comments, ladies!!!
Post a Comment