Things are calming down a little bit here but everyone in the family (myself excluded, I hope) is ill. MIL has been sick with mostly a cold for ages and she was just out of it for the weekend. The little guy is mostly better but is still coughing and pretty stuffed up. Hubby went to work this morning and then back to bed as he isn’t feeling well, either. I am really tired but I’m sure that’s it. (I am NOT sick.)
It was hard to convince the young one today that he should go to daycare. He didn’t go at all last week and was trying to not have to go today, too. This morning he was saying how couldn’t possibly go back as he is still coughing and his nose is still stuffed up (as he coughs and sniffles on purpose.) Poor guy, I felt bad for him, but MIL can’t take care of him and I had to go to work today. The longer his holiday, the harder it is to get him to go back.
I had an interesting school lunch today. It was individual lasagnes, which was okay (I have eaten better), along with some weird, flavour-less soup-veggies and fake crab and fish cakes in it.) The salad portion today was veggie chips, thinly cut lotus root and burdock, and deep-fried with lots of salt. (Good but not a lunch thing, I think.) Then the starch portion was, I’m not kidding, a chocolate sandwich. Don’t get me wrong, I love chocolate. I also have fond memories of going to some French school when I lived in Calgary and we all ate Nutella on our bread and I remember thinking how luxurious the French were. Chocolate spread on bread, mmmmmm! BUT we did not eat it for lunch, it was a snack. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised as this is the place that you can get strawberry and whipped cream sandwiches. (Those haven’t made their way into my school lunch yet!) Dessert (we don’t get one every day) was grape jelly (jello)with iron added to it. There were lots of tasty things but they didn’t blend well to make a meal.
I think that it is ironic that here the kids’ lunches are high calorie because they feel that kids need a lot of calories. I don’t disagree, it’s just kind of strange that kids’ lunches in North America have started to become more calorie conscious as people are getting bigger there. I don’t feel that low calorie necessarily means healthier, either, it’s just interesting the way trends go.
I do have to say that when I went back to Canada I felt like a normal size again (not like the elephant feeling I get here.) But people here are getting bigger. I don’t know how long they will offer high calorie lunches. Maybe sometime in the future they will have to cut back on calories here, too. (Everyone drinks milk at lunch {besides me} and it’s 3.6% milk fat. Most people I talk to have no idea how high that is in fat.
But anyway, that’s it for now. Gonna leave early, pick up the boy, maybe try and prepare dinner a little before I teach my private class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Elephant feeling??? Are you crazy! You are so thin.
We love nutella!
I`m glad you (and the little guy) are feeling better. :)
The girls out here in Akita would fit in well in Canada. They are hardly "Twiggys". Health and fitness is so much more important than weight- as long as one isn't damagingly overweight. Everytime my doctor tells me I am gaining weight "too fast" makes me irrate. Being TOO thin is not good either. DH let him have it last time and said that if I ate less both me and child would starve- This is just how my body grows during pregnancy.
I am sure you are beautiful!
Sheri, you are super petite!! What's with all the weight talk?!
I'm glad you and Hiroki are feeling better. : )
And same thing as Tigermama, we eat Nutella at our place as well, but not very often though. : )
That's one strange lunch! Hope everyone is on their way back to wellness.
Thanks, everyone for the lovely comments!
Post a Comment