Well, here I am again. Wasting time at work. I love it.
So, after the interview last week, I got some paper confirming that I have a job with the new place. Good, but last week after the interview I watched a class and now I’m feeling a wee bit nervous about the job. I will pretty much always be the main teacher! I think it’s going to be good-it’s just been a while since I’ve done that. It’s better that I’m going to change now, I think, rather than wait longer and be out of practice more. Last week I was feeling scared sh*tless but that has changed to nervousness now. I think that I am going to be much busier at work, which means no time to do this at work, I guess. Anyway, I’ll see what happens.
As for music-(cause I know you are all hanging out to hear what’s going on here musically!) last month we sang Like a Virgin with the grade 8s. It’s pretty difficult to sing, fast and her voice is pretty high. With the grade 7s, we sang Roy Orbison’s Pretty Woman. Cool. (It was funny to hear the kids saying ‘Mercy’ and doing that growling thing.) I think that the grade 9’s did Bad Day. I have hardly been to any grade 9 classes lately because they are all doing practice tests for their high school entrance exams. Poor kids. This month, we’ve been doing Toy Boy with the grade 8s, Country Roads (sung by Olivia Newton John – help me!) and You Can’t Hurry Love with the grade 7s, and I think Let it Be with the grade 9s. (Haven’t been to a class this month yet.)
Personally music lately-I can’t get enough of Regina Spektor. I have some from when my brother brought me some music last year (thanks Mike!). I also have been listening to music on her website. One listen and I can’t get it out of my head. Catchy-and it’s not just me, the little guy has been running around singing a couple of her songs, too. Funny.
Another group that I can’t get enough of is Sigur Ros, also introduced by my brother. I think I have about 4 of their songs. Like them a lot. No idea what their songs are about as they are in some Nordic language. Can’t figure out why I like them so much. Interesting. (Also can’t seem to get a guitar solo out of my mind-from Saga’s ‘On the Loose’? –no idea why that’s floating around in there!)
I’ve been thinking a lot about what changes will be coming up and what I am looking forward to and what I will miss. I will miss going to the elementary schools. It’s a lot of fun to teach little kids. I am looking forward to hopefully having a conversation with my new students as they are supposed to have a higher level of English. I also hope that it will be fun working with other English speakers in the same office. I feel somewhat isolated at times being the only non-Japanese person at the school. I will soon see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think feeling nervous is good. It means you are being challenged, right?!
Did you get a car?
Hi Tigermama,
I hope so! And yes, we bought a Swift! We'll be getting it next month!
Both musicians you mentioned recently being into I haven't heard of. I am going to check them out as soon as I press "login and publish".
Congrats on the new job!
I like Regina Spektor too, so I will check out the other performers you mentioned. Obviously you have great taste!
Good news about the job, Sheri. Congrats!
I think singing Like A Virgin over and over again with large classloads of 14 year-olds would just about kill me...
Thanks Jean! Like a Virgin is bad, but anything by the Carpenters/Olivia Newton John is even worse for me. (like shudder-inducing!)
Lily, did you find any info? I haven't searched on the net for Sigur Ros, but you can find Regina Spektor songs/videos on myspace.com -with her name.
Medea-you too! I saw that you like a lot of the same music I like on your profile. I like Tome Waits a lot, too!
Post a Comment