Wednesday, November 15, 2006

....2

Oh boy-got some free time again today! Yay! So at the beginning of every English class in junior high school we sing English songs for whatever reason…pronunciation? Listening? I don’t know. We’ll sing the same song for a month. Usually we are pretty limited in our choice of songs as they can’t be difficult for the students. Last month it was Billy Joel’s Honesty for the grade 9s, which I thought was pretty hard to sing. I had also never really paid much attention to the lyrics before. Not one of my favourites. The grades sang a song called The Tide is High/I Get a Feeling or something like that. The Tide is High being the Blondie song. It was sung by Atomic Kitten? And with the grade 7s, it was another Atomic Kitten song-a remake of Eternal Flame. Last month’s songs weren’t really bad. The month before was Micky-a remake of the Toni Basil song by Bewitched? For the grade 9s, Bad Day by Daniel Powell? For the grade 8s, and very sadly, On Top of the World by (Retching sounds) The Carpenters. I really don’t like their music.
Anywhere, this month is Ob-la-di-Ob-la-da for most of the grade 7s, and A-Ha’s Take on Me for the other 2 grade 7 classes. I never knew the words to that song as I couldn’t understand what the man was saying in the really high parts, but the kids actually sing it. The grade 8s are singing some Backstreet Boys song – I’ll be the One-never heard of it. The Grade 9s are unfortunately singing We Built This City by Starship (more retching sounds)
Oh well. I am already making suggestions for the next month-probably Christmas songs, so I am suggesting that we NOT sing Mariah Carey. Oh well.
In other things that are happening here, there have been a lot of suicides lately. Mostly by kids who were being bullied in school. It’s so sad and I just can’t get it. I feel like every day there is a new suicide being reported on the news.
That’s it for now-gotta do some work.

5 comments:

marianne said...

Had Yesterday Once More today with my 8th graders....I was horrified!

Perogyo said...

I like "We Built This City". Sorry!

Fingers crossed for no Mariah Carey.

jean said...

Now I've got We Built this City going through my head and it's NOT one of my favorites!!! LOL. The song idea at the beginning of each class sounds fun, but after you've sung it four or five times you must start going a bit insane. Nice for the kids though.

Granny said...

Oops. I just combined two posts with one comment. (see below).

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes.

Caro said...

Hope they don't play any Duran Duran... Did you get my two emails? Wanted to make sure they were getting to you - re your visit to Canada.