Saturday, June 24, 2006

sleeping


Well, another week of sleeping problems-just getting to sleep on little Mr. H's part. At least that's one good thing-there have been times of problems getting to sleep and staying asleep. And that's when I think he's trying to kill me...
So I got the no cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers earlier this week (I love amazon!) I like alot of what I've read so far (not much yet) but I'm still having a problem with the whole timing thing. The author says that he should be getting 11 hours of sleep a night. He is so not, which apparently goes a long way in explaining his temper tantrums and other similar behaviours. But according to the author, I should be getting him ready for bed an hour before the 11 hours of sleep. So I wake him up at 6:30, that means that I have to have him sleeping at 7:30. That means that I have to start putting him to bed at 6:30. Hmmmm. Not home yet/just getting home @ 6:30. There's also the bedtime snack before bed-so by my calculations-he gets home at about 5:00ish, eats dinner, takes a bath, eats a bedtime snack, I come home, put him to bed... it's too busy, I think. But I'm goingwh to read the book and see what else I can do.
Last week was busy, and a bit disturbing. One of the other ALTs was telling us horror stories of the grade 8 students at his school. They are doing things like hitting/fighting with each other and teachers! and it seems like there's nothin the school can do about it, which they have figured out. I'm pretty sure that if stuff like this happened in Canada, the police would be called. And then at my school, one of the grade 7 students went missing for a day and her teachere was concerned because there was a high chance that she was with her 18 yr old boyfriend(!). The next time I saw her at school, she had bruises all over her arms. where her father had punched her (mom is out of the picture). Now I know that the police would be called in Canada for child abuse. I also think that child services here wouldn't do much about beating-they have a good history of giving kids back to the people who beat them. Sad.
More murders in the news lately-kids killing their parents. More reason not watch tv (not that I watch that much)
Should go 4 now. xxoo

4 comments:

Granny said...

Eleven hours may be a goal but it's unrealistic for a working parent.

It's almost half the day and leaves barely enough time for dinner and bath, let alone any time with mommy.

Sheri said...

That's what I think, too, Granny! I miss him when I'm gone all day but I don't want his melt downs to be because he is sleep deprived! So I'm going to try and get him to bed earlier but I really think that 7:30 is just not possible!

Caro said...

I don't know if I told you, but David is going to be staying home with Ella after I go back to work. I think that'll be so much easier. She can go to bed at her usual time, I'll still get time with her and we won't have to get her up early to go to daycare. I think I am super lucky. First that we can do it financially and second that David is willing to do it! We're also pretty lucky here in Canada that we get a year off for maternity leave. It would be so hard to leave her just when she's getting fun!

Sheri said...

Caro-you hadn't told me yet-I'm glad that you found something that works for you! I agree with you about the 1 year mat leave-I would get 2 months here (I think with no pay?) because I'm not a permanent worker. Makes it very hard to have another one. :(