I have been feeling like my time is being stretched to the limit these days which may explain my lack of up to datedness here. I hope that you all had great holidays.
Lately I have been noticing my own mental block…One day last week as I was walking to school, I realized that I never really pay attention to buildings or signs or anything like that. (This leads to a great deal of not knowing where/what anything is.) I have also noticed that whenever I get any papers or anything with writing on it, I basically close down. I think, I can’t read this, and then I just don’t bother with it. Because I feel like I can’t read anything, it’s not worth it for me to even look at. So I’m now trying to be more open-minded and maybe just try looking at the paper first to see if there are any words on it that I can understand. I also tried to really take notice of where I was going and my surroundings the next time I walked to school. I think (ok, I know) that I can read more than I expect, so I’m doing my utmost to try and be more aware of things.
On a connected note, I am studying Japanese again. My goal is to (try to!) pass the Level 2 test in Japanese Proficiency. There are 4 different tests, with Level 4 being the easiest and Level 1 being the hardest test. (People who pass Level 1 usually have some sort of Asian background, which helps in knowing the kanji, or Chinese characters. I think you have to know about 1500 – 2000 of them to pass Level 1.) The problem with studying (or remembering) kanji is that each one has 2 or 3 different ways of reading them as well, leading to a lot of variations. I took the Level 3 and 4 tests a long time ago, and they weren’t very difficult, but the gap between the Level 2 and 3 test is phenomenal. I think for the Level 3 test you need to know about 165 kanji, while I need to know about 1000 for Level 2. I have a long way to go towards that goal, but I think that if I am able to reach that level, life here will be easier. (Think of going from being literate to illiterate to junior high school level literacy.) The test can be taken once a year (in December) and I hope that if I study enough, I can pass it, but at this point I don’t have much confidence.
The school year will be finished at the end of March here. I will be teaching at a new school in April, and going to new elementary schools, too. There are 7 foreign teachers hired by the Mishima School Board (the closest big town to where I am) and 7 junior high schools. Apparently we get switched around every year. We should find out around the beginning of March where we’ll be going to in April. I’m feeling a little anxious about it as I feel like I have just come to know this school and its system and teachers etc, but I guess it’ll give me the chance to meet more people this way. I think I’ll be able to get around Mishima more, too, which is probably a good thing. I basically only know the area around the schools I go to now.
Anyway, I think that’s enough for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, just happened to check and you had posted. Interesting that you're thinking of taking the next level of Japanese proficiency. Got your postcard of Hiroki over the holidays. He's sure getting big! Looks like quite a character! I think it's neat that you get to switch schools - yes, sad because you have to start over, but good because you meet a whole new circle of kids and adults! Things are fine here, hasn't been too cold a winter - we had a two week snap which was -30's, but that's all. I can handle that - not like I'm walking to school! Well gotta go, nice to hear from you chickie!
Caro
Post a Comment