Ohisashiburi desu, or long time no see. I know, technically there is no seeing going on. School has been quite busy lately, what with Sports Days and a bunch of different festivals going on. I think that there have been more holidays lately, too, which I’m not complaining about at all. Also been going to elementary schools and kindergartens a lot more too, leaving little time for this.
One of the festivals I got to go to was a Culture Festival. It was my first time attending one, so I didn’t really know what to expect. I kept asking the teachers what I should be doing to help (nothing). I also asked if I should do something, after all, it was a culture festival, right? Being from Canada, I felt that I might have something to offer… but no. So I went to the Culture Day feeling (more than a little) put out that no one bothered to ask me to do something. (Bad mood that day) I thought that maybe I should say something to the vice-principal or principal, but I decided to wait until the day was over. (Always better to wait) The day ended up being a display of things that the kids have done in school so far this year. In the morning there were kids who presented their research projects, and kids who had been practicing on their music instruments played them for us. Also some of the kids who had been in the English speech contest gave their speech in front of the school. I was very impressed by the kids and everything they learned. I thought they did an amazing job. A lot of it was student focused, and the teachers were there to help them present whatever they were presenting. In the afternoon, the students participated in a choir/chorus contest. Each grade has 3 different homerooms, and each class competed against the other classes to be the best in their grade. We listened to 9 different songs. I think that the classes pick what song they are going to do, and after that the practice every spare chance they get for about 2 or 3 weeks. The songs seemed very old-fashioned and very serious. They chose the songs according to their ability. Each class had one student leading the class in singing and a piano player. I was totally impressed. I don’t think I could have done that in Jr high school (I don’t think I can do it now even). Very cool.
Other than that, I’ve been spending time with my student who is going on to the next level for her speech contest. She has made it to the provincial contest, and is the only student in grade 8 there. All of the other students are in grade 9. I don’t have many expectations for her to win, but I think she’s done a great job. I don’t think that I could’ve made a speech in front of other people like that when I was her age.
I have also been getting ready for my presentation/speech that I have to do on Tuesday. I’m not especially looking forward to it, but c’est la vie. I don’t have much of a choice.
Anyway, I think I’ll go for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey there girlie. Happy to hear some news from you. What is the school year in Japan? Do the students have a couple of months off in summer like here? We've been watching this funny show which reminds me of you every time we watch it. It's call MXC and is on Spike TV - which is like a Macho Men network. Basically, they've taken highlights from a show in what I think is Japan. The show is called Takeshi's Castle I believe. It is hilarious. The MXC dubs in commentary and team names etc in English and make it match the showdowns. It's pretty silly. I think you should try to get on the show. Then I can watch you!!! No snow here yet - we should be getting it shortly (Halloween is coming up soon!). Other than that, nothing much else is new around here. We just had our Thanksgiving last Sunday so the whole fam-damily got together... The usual...
Take care!
Caro!
Post a Comment